How to Access
Navigate to the Category Manager. To add a new Category, press the 'New' icon in the toolbar. To edit an existing Category, click on the Category title or click the Category's checkbox and then click on the Edit icon in the toolbar.
This is where you can add a new Category to a Section or edit an existing Category. Categories are used to organize the Articles within a Section. Sections and Categories allow you to display related Articles together on a page and to filter Articles in the Article Manager. All Articles are assigned either to a Category that you create or to the special Category called 'Uncategorized'.
File:Content category edit.png
- Title. The Title for this item. This may or may not display on the page, depending on the parameter values you choose.
- Alias. The internal name of the item. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. The Alias will be used in the URL when SEF is activated. Note: If the title consists of non-Latin characters, the Alias will default to the current date and time, for example "2009-02-11-17-54-38".
- Published. Whether or not this item is published. Select Yes or No from the radio button group to set the Published state for this item.
- Section. Section for this Category. Select the Section from the drop-down list box. This is a required field.
- Category Order. The order this Category will display in the Category Manager. Use the drop-down list box to change the Order. You can select 'First' or 'Last' to make this the first or last Category. You can also select a Category from the list. In this case, the current Category will be listed just after the Category you select. Note that the Order can also be changed in the Category Manager screen.
- Access Level. Who has access to this item. Current options are:
- Public: Everyone has access
- Registered: Only registered users have access
- Special: Only users with author status or higher have access
- Enter the desired level using the drop-down list box.
- Image. Image for this Page. Image must be located in the folder "images/stories".
- Image Position. Position of the Image on the page. Select Left or Right from the drop-down list box.
- Description. The description for the item. Section and Category descriptions for Articles may be shown on web pages, depending on the parameter settings. These descriptions are entered using the same editor that is used for Articles. Note that Section and Category descriptions may not be edited from the front end.
An Image button is located just below the edit window, as shown below:
- Image. This button provides an easy way to insert an image into an Article. Images may be inserted from the 'images' folder and may also be uploaded. When you click the Image button in your editor or the Select button on a media field, a window pops up, as shown below:
- Directory. The current directory on the host server. This is the 'images' directory under your Joomla! home directory. Use the drop-down list box to select a subdirectory.
- Up. Navigate to the parent directory. Note that the top directory for this function is 'images'. You can not navigate to a higher directory.
- Insert. Insert the selected image. The insert point will be the current cursor position. You will see the image display inside the edit window.
- Cancel. Cancel the operation and close the popup window. You can cancel also in clicking the X at right top corner.
- Thumbnail Browse Area. Click on an image thumbnail to select the image. Click on a folder icon to navigate to that subdirectory.
- Start Upload. Once you have selected a file, press this button to upload the file to the currently selected folder. The thumbnail for the new image will now show in the thumbnail area.
In the upper right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Save it and return to editing the menu details.
- Apply. Save it, but stay in the same screen. If you have been working on a screen for a long time and don't want to risk losing your work, pressing Apply saves your work and lets you continue working. If, for example, you lost your Internet connection, your work will be saved up this point.
- Close. Return to the previous screen without saving your work. If you press Close while adding a new item, this new item will not be created. If you were modifying an existing item, the modifications will not be saved.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.