This screen lets you create new Web Links and edit existing ones.
How to Access
Navigate to the Web Links Manager. To add a new Web Link, click the "New" icon in the toolbar. To edit an existing Web Link, click the Web Link's Title, or check the Web Link's checkbox and press the "Edit" icon in the toolbar.
This is where you add a new Web Link or edit an existing one. Note that you need to create at least one Web Links Category before you can create your first Web Link.
Edit Web Link
This is where you enter or edit basic link information.
- Title. The Title of the Web Link. This field is required.
- Alias. The internal name of the item, also used in the URL when SEF is activated. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. Note: If the title consists of non-Latin characters, the Alias will default to the current date and time, for example "2009-02-11-17-54-38".</translate>
- URL. The URL of the Web Link.
- State: State of the item. Possible values are:
- Published: The item is published. This is the only state that will allow regular website users to view this item.
- Unpublished: The item is unpublished.
- Archived: The item has been archived.
- Reported: The item has been reported as invalid by a visitor.
- Trashed: The item has been sent to the Trash.</translate>
- Category. Category for this Web Link. Select from the drop-down list box of Web Links Categories. Note that Web Links Categories are separate from other Categories, such as those for Articles, Contacts, Banners, and News Feeds.
- Ordering. Indicates the order of this Web Link in the Web Link Manager. The default Order is to add the item to the end of the list. To select a different position, use the drop-down list box. This item will be moved to the position just after the item selected from the drop-down list. Note that the Order in which the Web Links are displayed can also be changed in the Web Links Manager.
- Access. Who can view this item. You can change an item's Access in its edit screen. See User Access Levels for more information.</translate>
- Language. Item language.</translate>
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.</translate>
- Description. Enter an optional description to display below the Web Link.
- Created by. Shows the user that created the item. Click the 'Select User' button to change the value.
- Author's Alias. Sets a different name than the author's for display.
- Created Date. Shows the date the item was created. Click the calendar icon to modify this date, or type in a date and time.
- Start Publishing. An optional start date to publish the item. Click the calendar icon to modify this date, or type in a date and time.
- Finish Publishing. An optional end date for the item. Click the calendar icon to modify this date, or type in a date and time.
- Modified Date. Shows the last date the item was modified.
- Target. How to open the link. Options are:
- Use Global. Use the setting from the Web Links Manager Options.
- Open in parent window. Open the link in the current browser window.
- Open in new window. Open the link in a new browser window/tab.
- Open in popup. Open the link in a popup window (browser without navigation controls).
- Modal. Open the link in a modal popup window. (Doesn't seem to work right now...)
- Count Clicks. Whether or not to keep track of the number of times each link has been clicked ('Hits').
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
- Save. Saves the item and stays in the edit screen.</translate>
- Save & Close. Saves the item and closes the edit screen.</translate>
- Save & New. Saves the item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another item.</translate>
- Save as Copy. Saves this item under a new name, keeping the original item unmodified. This button is available only when editing an existing item, not when creating a new one.</translate>
- Close. Returns to the previous screen without saving your work. If you press Close while adding a new item, this new item will not be created. If you were modifying an existing item, the modifications will not be saved.</translate>
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
- At least one Web Link Category must be added before any Web Links can be created.